Thursday, August 28, 2014

Introduction

Hi! My name is Chris Scott and I animate things, rig stuff, and do all the other elements of CG with varying degrees of skill. I recently graduated from Sheridan College's Digital Character program, and figured I'd start an actual blog instead of just posting random bits on facebook.

So a little about me. I started learning CG a little over 2 years ago now. I graduated from Rutgers University in 2012, after doing a thesis project on T.S Elliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". It was a two part project, involving a written thesis to appease the English department, and an animated, visual component to please myself (and by doing the film I got to write 30 less pages). It was done in Flash, and was my first attempt at film-making. It actually amassed a surprising number of views on youtube, probably because it concerns one of the most famous poems in the western world, and less because of the animation quality (there's hardly any real animation in the entire thing.)



After graduating I knew I didn't have the kind of skills people would pay me for, so I spent the summer learning Maya and made this film. It's rendered in an odd aspect ratio, I don't know what I was thinking at the time. Also, check out that herky-jerky character motion and demented camera movement. Fun stuff.


But hey, it got me into Sheridan's Digital Character program, so there ya go.  While I was waiting to go to Sheridan I made another film, this time with sound, about monkey-creatures summoning hammers from an alternate dimension and fighting with them. The storyline is unclear, the ending is ambiguous, and the computer's attempt at cell-shading is...eh. The only thing I still like about it is the lightning and smoke effects which I did frame-by-frame in Flash. Another good learning experience.


Then I went to the Sheridan program where I made this film. Mike and his Grizzly Bob accent is the funniest bit:

Survival Tips with Grizzly Bob! from Christopher Scott on Vimeo.

And then after graduating I applied to some jobs, didn't get them, took an iAnimate class, rigged some more things, and am now once again on the job hunt! This is my latest reel:

Chris Scott - Animation Demo Reel August 2014 from Christopher Scott on Vimeo.

So on this blog I'll post animation tidbits that interest me, as well as any new stuff I make. And then maybe one day, once I actually get good enough, someone will read this. And that'll be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment